Frequently Asked Questions
Inmate General Information
- Finding General Information on an Inmate
- Inmate Medical Records
- Correspondence Rules
- Commissary and Trust Fund
General Information Guide for Families of Offenders (PDF), Spanish (PDF) - Explains the intake process and provides a brief description of the inmate program areas within TDCJ. Intended to assist the families of inmates in understanding how TDCJ operates.
- Trust Fund
- Family Assistance
- Job Training
- Non Medical Emergency
- Good Conduct Time
- Legal Assistance
Correctional Institutions Division (CID)
- STGMO Gang Renouncement and Disassociation (GRAD)
- What happens when an inmate violates a rule within the prison?
- Should I send money to an incarcerated inmate?
- Do inmates in prison have color televisions in their cells?
- How do inmates spend their day?
- What happens if an inmate refuses to work?
- Does Texas have chain gangs?
- What kind of dress code applies to inmates?
- Are inmates allowed to make telephone calls?
- Hardship Transfer Requests
- Time Calculations
- Appeal of a Disciplinary Case
- Unfair Treatment by Staff
Diligent Participation Web Application
- Additional Information about the Homes for Heroes Loan Program
- Correctional Officer Application Status
- Correctional Officer Overtime Accrual/Payment
- Correctional Officer Positions
- Employee Benefits
- Employment Questions
- Insurance Questions
Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles and the Texas Board of Criminal Justice
- What are the rules of supervision?
- What is “gate money”?
- How often does an inmate report to his Parole Officer?
- Can inmates be supervised in other states?
- What is Parole in Absentia (PIA)?
- What happens if inmates violate the terms of release?
- Do I need to bring clothes for my loved one when he/she is being released?
- Where do I go to pick up an inmate upon release?
- Can I pick up my loved one at release?
- Can family select a halfway house for the inmate to live upon release?
- Will an inmate be released early if they finish their program early?
- If there is not an IPO (Institutional Parole Officer) at the unit, how can an inmate submit an I-60 form?
- Will an inmate be informed of why they are denied parole?
Research Project Requests
- TDCJ injuries per month
- How can I receive notification about an inmate in prison?
- What services will I receive by registering for notification?
- Is there a system that provides inmate information 24 hours a day?
- Can I be notified when an inmate is released from prison?
- How can I protest an inmate’s release and what do I say in my protest letter?
- Can I meet with the Board of Pardons and Paroles?
- When will the mediation take place?
- How long before a mediator is assigned to the case?
- Does the inmate have to agree to mediation?
- Is it permissible to write or visit the inmate prior to the mediation?
- Can a support person come to the mediation session?
- How can I initiate a case
- How can a victim apply to become a victim impact panelist?
- Does the inmate have to be in prison?
- What does a victim/survivor gain from speaking on a panel?
- Why are VIPs used in training criminal justice professionals?
- Why are VIPs provided for inmate audiences?
- What should an inmate do when/if court ordered to attend a victim impact panel?
- How long have victim witnesses been allowed to view executions?
- Is execution viewing limited to immediate family members of the deceased?
- How many victim witnesses may view an execution, and can anyone attend the execution without viewing?
- What time do executions take place and where?
- Are victim witnesses prepared for viewing the execution?
- What can an inmate say during their last statement?
- What happens after the execution?
Rehabilitation Programs Division
- How long is the application process?
- Can an ex-inmate volunteer?
- Can a TDCJ employee (or retiree) become a volunteer?
- Can I attend a training class at a unit different from the one I will be volunteering at?
- How long is the training session?
- How often am I required to retrain?
- Can I bring a friend with me to the volunteer training/orientation session?
- Can my church/ministry group donate books or materials to the units?
- What if someone I know is currently incarcerated within the TDCJ?
- How many units can I visit?
- After becoming an approved volunteer, will I be able to write letters to inmates?
- How do I begin?
- What is a special volunteer?