Inmate Technology Services
The Inmate Telephone System (OTS) allows eligible inmates to make paid telephone calls to friends and family, in accordance with the TDCJ Disciplinary Rules and Procedures for Offenders, English (PDF) or Spanish (PDF).
Information or registration:
Before you can receive calls from a TDCJ inmate, you must first register your telephone number:
- Internet: texasprisonphone.com
Note: You will need the inmate's TDCJ ID number to register to receive telephone calls from him or her. If you do not know their number you can find it through the online inmate search or by telephone at (936) 295-6371 or (800) 535-0283. The telephones are answered from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday - Friday.
- Telephone: (866) 806-7804
Telephone calls can be placed in the following manner:
- Collect calls - charges are accepted when the inmate calls.
- Friends and Family Prepaid - the owner of the telephone number establishes an account in which to deposit money to pay for the inmate's calls.
- Inmate Telephone Prepaid Debit Account (Securus Debit Account) - the inmate or family can deposit money into the inmate's account.
The following rules apply to the system:
- Phones are available from 5:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m., unless conditions dictate a change. Tablet phone hours may differ.
- Calls are limited to 30 minutes.
- You will hear a warning message one minute before being disconnected.
- Inmates have unlimited minutes per month.
- All calls, except to the attorney of record, are subject to monitoring and recording.
- Calls may only be made to home landline telephone numbers, post-paid cell phones, and pre-paid cell phones. No calls are allowed to internet services, 800 numbers, businesses, pay phones, or international numbers.
- To receive calls, the name on the registrant's driver license or state identification card must be reflected on their telephone listing or bill.
- To register you will be required to confirm that you:
- Are the registered owner of the telephone number.
- Agree to allow the inmate to call the telephone number.
- Are at least 18 years old.
- Will not forward calls, make three-way calls, or use a speakerphone on calls received from the inmate.
- Understand that eligible inmates are not allowed to speak to any adult that is not listed on their approved calling list.
If a victim does or does not wish to receive calls from inmates, they should contact:
Victim Services Division
8712 Shoal Creek Blvd., Suite 265
Austin, TX 78757
Telephone: (800) 848-4284
E-messaging allows friends and families to send electronic messages to inmates. To learn more about the service and to set up an account, click the following link: E-Messaging.
Inmate tablets allow eligible inmates access to secure tablets that are able to deliver educational, vocational, religious, and legal materials along with numerous other programs. To learn more about the service click the following link: TDCJ - Securus Technologies.
Securus Video Visitation allows eligible inmates stay in touch with families and friends on select correctional facilities. See the list below to determine which facilities have Securus Video Visitation.
Securus video visitations are 60 minutes long and will cost $10.00. Inmates will be limited to one remote video visit per month. Remote video visits are on a set schedule that begin and end at scheduled times. Follow the directions on the Securus website to register for remote video visits. If you experience any problems, please contact the Securus Customer Service Center at (877) 578-3658.
Correctional facilities available for remote video visitations via Securus are:
- Clements Unit
- Connally Unit
- Crain Unit
- Garza West Unit
- Hutchins State Jail
- Jester III Unit
- McConnell Unit
- Michael Unit
- Montford Unit
- Sanchez Unit
- Stiles Unit
- Travis State Jail
- Wynne Unit
Complaints about the vendor service for the Inmate Telephone System, E-Messaging Service, Inmate Tablets, or Securus Video Visitation should be forwarded in writing to:
Texas Department of Criminal Justice
Information Technology Division
Inmate Technology Services Contract Manager
PO Box 4016
Huntsville, TX 77342-4016