Frequently Asked Questions
eCommDirect - Offender Commissary Purchases
**Effective September 1st, 2020**
Effective September 1st 2020, to purchase on eCommDirect or make a deposit for an offender, you must be on the offender’s Approved Visitor or Offender Telephone List.
The TDCJ Commissary and Trust Fund Department utilizes an online program where friends and family may make purchases for eligible offenders up to the maximum quarterly spend. Offender spends are based on the following months:
Up to 100 of the top selling items are available for purchase including snacks, hygiene products, correspondence supplies as well as some new packaged items. The online amount purchased will not affect the amount that offenders may spend on commissary items from funds deposited in their inmate trust fund account. In addition to offenders on commissary restriction, offenders in General Population and State Jail levels 4 and 5, Administrative Segregation levels 2, 3 and transition, Death Row levels 2 and 3 and certain medical conditions are not eligible to receive commissary purchases through this program. (See question 5 under Frequently Asked Questions for full eligibility requirements.)
Friends and family can choose to make an online merchandise purchase or an online deposit to an offender’s inmate trust fund account or both. The online merchandise purchase will be delivered to the offender within five business days after TDCJ receives the purchase transaction details from Texas.gov. Please note that unit security or staffing issues can override this timeframe. The online deposit to an offender’s inmate trust fund account will be transferred to the offender’s inmate trust fund account on the second business day from the day of deposit. online purchases are subject to substitution, if the item is unavailable at the time of distribution.
The online purchase program is available for all eligible offenders. Commissary staff does NOT determine or control eligibility. An offender may submit an I-60 for eCommDirect eligibility status and may choose to disclose this information to you. Friends and family may contact the TDCJ eCommDirect department at 936-437-4726 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I place an eCommDirect order?
- Will I receive confirmation that the items purchased were delivered?
- How can I tell if my package has been delivered to the offender?
- May a newly received offender receive purchases?
- What criteria are used to determine eligibility to receive purchases?
- When I am shopping and hit the back button, why am I locked out of the system?
- Will the eCommDirect purchase amount affect what the offender may spend in the commissary?
- I would like to send the offender something, is the limit $60 per purchase or $60 per quarter?
- May I place an order over the phone?
- Will I be charged a fee for making a purchase or deposit?
- Why does the system time me out?
- Do I have to make a purchase and a deposit at the same time?
- If I have questions while making a deposit or purchase, who can I contact?
- Can I make a purchase using any online package program?
1. How do I place an eCommDirect order?
- Enter the offender's number and the offender's last name;
- Add items and/or deposits to shopping cart;
- Checkout, paying with your Visa, Discover or MasterCard; and,
- Print your confirmation receipt.
2. Will I receive confirmation that the items purchased were delivered?
3. How can I tell if my package has been delivered to the offender?
- You may contact the offender to verify that they received their items, or
- You may contact the TDCJ eCommDirect department at 936-437-4726 or email email@example.com after five business days.
4. May a newly received offender receive purchases?
5. What criteria are used to determine eligibility to receive purchases?
- The offender's custody level (General Population and State Jail Levels 4 and 5, Administrative Segregation levels 2, 3 and transition, Death Row levels 2 and 3 and certain medical conditions are not eligible.)
- The offender must not be on commissary restriction. (Offenders on commissary restriction are not eligible.)
- If the offender is newly received, the offender will not be eligible until the next calendar quarter after the offender's entry. (For example, if the offender entered the TDCJ on December 2nd, the offender will be eligible for purchases beginning the next calendar quarter, which starts in January.)
- Whether or not the offender is housed at a location that has a TDCJ commissary located on the unit.
- If a unit is on full or partial lockdown status, offenders are confined to their cells as a security measure to ensure ongoing safety and cannot receive purchases. In addition, the lockdown status must be officially lifted through administration before the unit is considered off lockdown status. The entire unit must be off lockdown before the official lift will begin and offenders can receive purchases.
NOTE: Only one purchase per offender may be completed per day. (If a friend or family member has locked the offender out of the system by not exiting the store website correctly, the account will reset on the next business day.)
6. When I am shopping and hit the "Back" button, why am I locked out of the system?
7. Will the eCommDirect purchase amount affect what the offender may spend in the commissary?
8. Is the limit $60 per purchase or $60 per quarter?
- January – March up to $60.00;
- April – June up to $60.00;
- July – September up to $60.00; and
- October – December up to $85.00 (Holiday Spend)
Multiple purchases may be made for the offender throughout the quarter but there will be a $3.75 fee assessed for each transaction.
9. May I place an order over the phone?
10. Will I be charged a fee for making a purchase or deposit?
11. Why does the system time me out?
- Answer: There is a 30 minute time limit on this website. Once you have been timed out of the store, you will not be able to go back in and make a purchase until the next business day.
12. Do I have to make a purchase and a deposit at the same time?
13. If I have questions while making a deposit or purchase, who can I contact?
14. Can I make a purchase using any online package program?