Welcome to the TDCJ Wellness Initiative Now
Wellness Initiative Now is the wellness program for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. It was implemented to promote personal well-being, fitness, and nutrition for all TDCJ employees.
Employees are granted eight hours of administrative leave, for one annual physical.
December is Safe Toys and Gifts Month
Holiday shopping has already begun, both online and in stores. Even though the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has created a stringent toy safety system for manufacturers, there are safety tips we should remember when buying toys for children this holiday season.
- Children can choke or suffocate from balloons, so keep deflated balloons away from children under eight and immediately discard broken balloons.
- For children under three, avoid toys with small parts.
- If buying riding toys, including skateboards or skates, remember to purchase helmets and safety gear to cushion falls.
- Avoid high-powered magnet sets since they can be dangerous to young children.
- Always read warnings and instructions on the box.
- Avoid purchasing toys with sharp or rigid points, spikes, rods, or dangerous edges.
- Buy toys that will withstand hard impact and not break into dangerous shards.
- Look for the letters “ASTM”. This acronym means the toy meets the national safety standards set by the American Society for Testing Materials.
- Never give toys with long strings or cords to infants and small children.
Once gifts have been opened, immediately discard plastic wrapping and other packaging, keep older children’s toys away from younger children, and always supervise battery charging. Make this a happy and safe holiday for your family by following these important safety rules. For additional toy safety information, go to http://child-familyservices.org/december-is-national-safe-toys-and-gifts-month/ .
Physical Activity Guidelines
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has released new physical activity guidelines for Americans.
Commit for Life
The Human Resources Division receives a "Path for Success" award from the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center.
Balancing Work and Family
Page updated: 11/26/2019