Correctional Officer-Sponsored Training Program
Graduates of a correctional officer-sponsored training program are not guaranteed employment!
In addition to the regular applicant procedure, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice has also established a contract agreement with Gary Job Corps Center to provide correctional officer (CO) training. Although applicants initially pay for the training, this CO-sponsored training program provides individuals the opportunity to attend training in their local areas. To enroll in the CO-sponsored training program, contact the Gary Job Corps Center listed herein and follow their enrollment procedures. Enrollment procedures include:
- Receive and submit an application at the participating training program.
- The participating training program sets a date for TDCJ screening.
- A TDCJ representative administers a pre-employment test and interviews applicants at the participating training program.
- Within several working days, TDCJ notifies the training program of the applicants who are tentatively acceptable for hire pending completion of a background check.
- Selected applicants pay tuition and are trained by the participating training program with no guarantee of employment by TDCJ. Tuition is not reimbursed by the TDCJ.
- Applicants who successfully complete training and are selected for hire will receive a letter from TDCJ requesting that they to report to a regional in-processing center. Applicants become employees on the designated date of in-processing and will report to their unit of assignment the following day.
|Title||*Monthly Salary||Months of
|CO III||$3,019.84||0 to 12|
|CO IV||$3,284.27||13 to 36|
|CO IV||$3,480.77||37 to 72|
*Salary rates may differ for return-to-work retirees who are not ERS contributors.
Page updated: 10/09/2019